In this article, we will focus on answering this question so you can avoid bad habits that have negative effects on your skin, and ultimately improve and protect yourself.
Carotene ( Caused by food)
If you usually eat too much carotene-rich food in a short period of time, your liver will not be able to fully decompose it right away. This will eventually lead to excessive carotene concentration in the blood and it will be deposited to the skin’s service so fast after that, resulting in yellowing your palms and your face.
This is why you should pay attention to the exact intake of carotene and try to reduce and regulate it as much as possible so it can be naturally metabolized by the body. As fast as the result of the carotene’s effect on the body, it is also very fast to see progress in your skin if you reduce its intake, your skin will return to its normal state in a matter of 2 weeks.
Although, it is worth to mention carotene-rich food such as oranges, carrots, pumpkins, and mangos can help women with sensitive skin from the sun and anti-aging.
Melanin ( The main cause)
Melanin is the number one reason for blackening and darkening the skin. And the main reason for heavy melanin formation is poor protection from the sun. The only way to improve your skin in this scenario is by supplementing your self with a sufficient amount of Vitamin C and B to promote collagen synthesis in your body. Collagen will help to reduce the excess grease on your skin and will enhance its elasticity and vibrancy. Also, pay extra attention to protecting your skin from the sun, especially if you have sensitive skin. Do not just apply any sunscreen on your skin, you should choose a high-coefficient sunscreen if your outdoors and a low-coefficient one when you’re indoors.
Also, long-term oral vitamin C will bring a lot of side effects on the body such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, and abdominal pain. It also increases the risk of kidney stones formation. However, vitamin C is very important to the skin and the body, this is why it should be supplemented and taken under the supervision of your doctor, just to make sure you avoid its side effects.
- Lack of sleep and staying up all night can easily lead to poor blood circulation in the body, which will eventually lead to dark and dull facial skin. When we sleep, the capillary circulation of your skin increases and the body’s secretion function strengthens which leads to the acceleration of the regeneration process of the skin.
- Smoking and drinking are also huge factors that lead to dull skin. Smoking leads to pigmentation, and drinking is known for causing many problems to the liver that are easily and directly shown on the skin.
- Long-term exposure to ultraviolet rays, electromagnetic waves, and computer screens can easily stimulate the skin to produce free radicals. Hence, it is highly advised not to expose yourself to these harmful factors so often. Unless you absolutely have to. and even then, you should give your skin a break to restore its functions. For example, if you work in front of a computer screen on a daily basis, you should take a 5-10 minute break every 2 hours and move away from the screen.
- Depression is another reason behind dull skin to many women. If a person is depressed, anxious, or stressed for a long period of time, it will cause the body to produce an excessive amount of melanin on the surface of the skin. Depression also has a very negative effect on the skin’s blood supply.
- Finally, the lack of exercise is one major bad habit that has to be avoided. It slows down blood circulation in the body as well as the metabolism of the skin. This will eventually lead to excessive accumulation of waste in the body that will reflect badly on the skin.
Liver, spleen, and kidney dysfunction
According to traditional Chinese medicine, more than 80% of skin problems are related to liver, spleen, or kidney dysfunction. Liver dysfunction is responsible for weakening the overall blood circulation in the body and directly causing facial dull skin. On the other hand, spleen dysfunction will directly affect our digestive system and the absorption of nutrients in food which will lead to dark spots and dull skin appearance on the face. Finally, when it comes to kidney deficiency, there is an old Chinese saying that can sum it up in a very simple way, which is ” Kidney controls black”, meaning that a kidney deficiency is co-related to skin problems and will directly cause skin’s darkness and dullness.
This is why it is highly recommended to do regular check-ups so you tackle any minor problem in its early stage before turning to an unnecessary complication.
Neglecting skin abnormalities
If you notice any abnormality on your skin and you decide to leave it, it will keep on accumulating on the surface without supplying the skin with normal metabolism. The accumulation of old waste and burden on the surface of the skin makes it very hard for melanin to be metabolized which will cause some serious problems in the long run, such as large pores and excessive oil secretion. At this point, even skincare and whitening products will not be very effective in hiding those large pores on the face and this will be very annoying.
Low oxygen level in the blood
Low oxygen in the blood will darken the skin exponentially. In this case, dark and dull skin is not caused by melanin, but the main reason will be that the oxygen content in the blood is very low. Oxygen content in the blood is the main determinant behind how the skin looks. Low content will make the skin looked dark and dull, while high oxygen content in the blood will smooth the blood circulation and will make the skin shiny and vibrant.